Note: This ongoing series on Siberia/Mongolia is archived here.
Way back in January 2017, Bill Pfeiffer, in consultation with his Siberian partner of almost 20 years, Erjen Khamaganova, discussed the higher purpose of our upcoming journey.
At the time I skimmed through this particular email. By this time, after a full year of waffling, I knew internally and definitively that I was indeed directed to go on the trip to Siberia/Mongolia, and apparently, on an unconscious level, needed not to clutter mind and heart with all the reasons “why.” Plus, I had never met either Bill or Erjen, so this “higher purpose” business, frankly, felt like so many flowery words.
Boy, was I wrong! Mea culpa!
From Bill’s January email to the group:
Here is how we broke it [the higher purpose] down:
1) It’s a peace mission. The Paris bombings/shootings, the Syrian tragedy, the war in Africa underscore that the world is saturated with madness. Citizen diplomacy is a powerful tool to cut through government and media enemy images and stereotypes. We can all remind each other of our common aspirations for clean food and water and a healthy, peaceful place for our children to grow up… and sanity. And to not succumb to the fear whipped up by terrorists of any kind.
2) Continuing our participation and observation of what it means to be indigenous.
3) Demonstrating that citizens from the wealthy nations respect and admire shamanic culture wherever it is practiced…. that we want to remind young Native people that their traditions and Elders matter. In so doing, mining for the spiritual gold that enriches the Earth-honoring culture we want to build at home.
4) To undertake non-ordinary research through regular inner journeying ( at home and over there) in order to bring valuable information back to the “surface.” For example, petroglyphs, rock art, and sacred sites are a treasure trove of HOW our ancient ancestors viewed the world. Using shamanic methods we may be able to “decipher” their messages and bring back medicine for our time.
5) We are each involved in intensive soul development spanning lifetimes and have an intention (whether we know it or not ) to align ourselves, moment to moment, with Source energy and intelligence. This journey is a catalyst to accelerate the best in in us.
And let me tell you now, this higher purpose was, and is, being well-served. Sitting here in the aftermath of our journey, absorbed within the garden abundance manifesting in our three-home Green Acres Village on six tenths of an acre inside a core suburb in the college town of Bloomington, Indiana, I feel the Earth and her mysterious power bubbling up inside me so powerfully and insistently now that there seems to be no way I can avoid being and doing whatever She commands from here on out.
Earth is sacred. All her sites are sacred. Let us plant ourselves wherever we find ourselves, feet deep into the good ground, head open to the infinite sky, entire body expectant, willing, thrumming with energy. There is no end to what we can accomplish, once we recognize our own sacred function as conscious human antennae linking Earth to Sky.