Just for the sake of simplicity, let’s leave out all the other dreadful goings-on that we hear about — all the wars and prep for wars, the killing off of whatever is of real value for unreal short term gain, all the patriarchal puffery and jockeying for “position.” Just ignore it all.
Relax, settle into your being. . . But wait. Is relaxation even possible? Or are all those hours we spend sleepless in the middle of the night, our eyes, if not wide open, then staring fitfully into their own lids, an experience of sheer shared dread?
Tell me, can you not feel the subtle, generalized foreboding of doom that has been filling the atmosphere (and the oceans) ever since March 11, 2011? Can you not sense the unease, an increasing awareness that we humans, so full of ignorant and/or short-sighted hubris, know not what we do — and that, in this case, whatever we DO do to correct our massive, gooey, intensely toxic doo-doo will be too little, too late? Tell me, do you really feel that we are going to be able to contain the continuous, long-acting radiation leaking/gushing into the Pacific Ocean from the shores of Fukushima Daichi reactors, all sitting on squishy ground, with, as I recall, the core of at least one of them melted down and the others so deep down no one knows where they went?
As we restart the gawd-only-knows how dangerous the CERN contraption in Europe, as Japan restarts its other nuclear reactors, as the Iran “deal” goes through that allows nuclear technology but no weapons, Tepco has finally announced that they don’t know how to “fix” Fukushima, that THE TECHNOLOGY DOES NOT EXIST.
Not enough? Check out today’s headlines on enenews homepage:
News by Region:
- Times: “The worst possible result” revealed at Fukushima — Plant Chief: Centuri…
- AP: Melted fuel may have “dropped even beyond” the bottom of Fukushima plant — …
- TV: Dam gates ‘shifted’ in Fukushima Unit 3 fuel pool — Damaged by massive piec…
- Times: 200-year wait faced at Fukushima — Plant Chief: “No idea” how to decommi…
- National Geographic: Newly discovered mass mortality in sea creatures along Cali…
- “BREAKING NEWS – Scientists detect Fukushima radiation on North American shores”…
- 13 baby gray whales and 55 dolphins found dead on West Coast — “Rash of dead hu…
- Experts: Pacific food web crashing — “What’s going on? Where are the fish? Wher…
- TV: Documents reveal radiation spike at world’s fifth largest nuclear plant — R…
- “Emergency shutdown” at one of world’s largest nuke plants — Local Official: “R…
- TV: Plutonium being pumped into ocean through miles of underwater pipes — Nucle…
- CNN: Urgent – Emergency repairs reported at largest nuclear power plant in Europ…
A.K. Meanwhile, here’s an article that lists radiation levels for various cities in the U.S. this past week. Note that the rates vary, and that coastal rates are not consistently worse than others. Indeed, the worst, last week, was Albuquerque.
These are the recorded Radiation Highs affecting people this week around the US
(San Francisco) April 3, 2015 – This is “Your Radiation, This Week.” United States. Let’s get right to it.
RADIATION – CITY – STATE
(In Counts per Minute, 50 CPM is an Alert Level)
291 CPM Boston, MA,
271 CPM New York City, NY
230 CPM Atlanta, GA
465 CPM Miami, FL
205 CPM Chicago, IL
252 CPM Des Moines, IA
371 CPM Aberdeen SD
339 CPM Kansas City, KA
347 CPM Tulsa, OK
474 CPM Little Rock, AR
423 CPM Dallas TX
316 CPM Lubbock, TX
366 CPM South Valley, NM
658 CPM Albuquerque, NM* Highest
429 CPM Grand Junction, CO
647 CPM Billings, MT
560 CPM Phoenix, AZ*
143 CPM Las Vegas, NV
514 CPM San Diego, CA
324 CPM Los Angeles, CA
228 CPM San Francisco, CA
459 CPM Spokane, WA
Across the United States from East to West and North to South, this is Your Radiation, This Week.
While I’d like to end this dreadful post with some kind of uplifting news, I’d rather just sit with it in all its horror. See what happens when I do.
Meanwhile, I dare you to watch — all the way through — this video cartoon that gives historical perspective on our all-too-human project that treats Earth and Earthlings with contempt. Can you watch it ? I could not.