In this morning’s email box, a request to his seven brothers and sisters from brother John, in honor of our recently deceased dear old Republican Dad who loved Fox News but who would have heartily agreed with this bill to return Congress to its original function and intent. YES! John asks us to pass it along to 20 people. I’d say pass it to everyone you know. It’s an example of how we are the ones who we’ve been waiting for, the ones who’ve shifted from being passive consumers to active citizens.
P.S. Here’s another version, with a petition to sign.
*Congressional Reform Act of 2012*
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.